Thursday, July 4, 2013

Moulin Rouge!

I've admitted several times before that I'm not much for musicals. Granted, I've admitted more things pertaining to liking musicals if they're done right. (I'm probably in the minority for loving Les Miserables.)

Anyway, after hearing so many people gushing over Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge!, I decided to give it a shot. (I am also a fan of stars Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor, so that also convinced me to see it.) Was I satisfied with the film? For the most part. My opinion of the entire film? Read on.

Knowing Luhrmann's distinct style, I went into Moulin Rouge! fully aware that it'll be a very lavish film. And boy, was it ever. You can certainly see that every cent of its budget was well spent. That said, it is a bit too excessive. (Another blogger said this to me on Twitter: "Haven't see The Great Gatsby yet then huh?")

It's common for musicals to have original songs but apart from one song, Moulin Rouge! relies on a soundtrack of contemporary music. (Feels weird for a film set in 1899 France.) In a way, it shows how wild the bohemian lifestyle was back then. (It also has a rather...amusing rendition of "Like A Virgin".) An interesting variation of the standard musical, that's for sure.

Anyway, Moulin Rouge! is a very vibrant and wild musical. Thanks to the work from Kidman and McGregor (who really should have been nominated), it's also a very lovely romance. If you're a romantic sap like me (or just like very lavish films), then you'll love Moulin Rouge!

My Rating: ****1/2

1 comment:

  1. This film brought out the romantic in me. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.