Sunday, December 23, 2012

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

During the opening moments of Bharat Nalluri's Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, we get a clear idea that Guinevere Pettigrew (Frances McDormand) doesn't exactly have the most ideal life. Almost immediately the viewer sympathizes with her. Fortunately she goes down a better route, thanks mainly to Delysia Lafosse (Amy Adams).

You really can't go wrong since McDormand and Adams. McDormand captures Pettigrew's quiet nature flawlessly. (Amusingly, Billie Burke was considered for this role when this was a realized project back in the 1930's.) Adams in turn displays Delysia's bubbly attitude is reminiscent of Carole Lombard. Again, they're perfectly cast.

The three supporting actors are also very good in their own ways. Ciaran Hinds is a lovely foil to McDormand. Mark Strong effortlessly displays the snake-like nature of his character. (Then again, he's usually good in that role.) But my favorite (and I'm not just saying this for Margaret) is Lee Pace. Come on, he's charming, he wears nice suits and he speaks with a gorgeous British accent. (Translation: he's too much for me to handle.)

Being familiar with the era the film is set in, I can tell that Nalluri is providing a nice homage to the films from that time in Hollywood. You can sense auras of Lubitsch amid the various locales visited, wisps of Edith Head in Delysia's gowns, and touches of Cukor in the scenes between Pettigrew and Delysia.

Long story short, I was charmed endlessly by this film. I was thoroughly entertained by it. I know I'll be watching it again in the near future simply because it's that good. (Hell, I'm smiling right now just thinking about it.)

My Rating: *****

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you -- a great romantic comedy in style of the old classics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie so much. I've watched it at least 20 times and I still get utterly charmed by it. It is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and very informative review, I didn't know half of that stuff! :) The film definitely brings smile to one's face and Lee brings so much...what's the word I'm looking for...hotness and perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review of a lovely movie. Lee Pace is indeed too much to handle for his hotness. He's soooo gorgeous in this movie and his spot-on British accent made me melt!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.