Friday, April 8, 2011

Father of the Bride

Marriage is hard. Well, not always the marriage itself. More so planning the wedding, as shown vividly in Vincente Minnelli's Father of the Bride.

Stanley Banks' (Spencer Tracy) daughter Kay (Elizabeth Taylor) has recently announced to her parents her engagement, thus causing a whirlwind from planning the wedding.

Considering the only roles I've Taylor in were dramatic (A Place in the Sun, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Suddenly, Last Summer), so it was nice to see her in a lighter role. She had this certain aura to her that made people notice her, which is clear in Father of the Bride.

As for Tracy, I knew that he could do comedy after seeing Adam's Rib. He captures the right of essence from the stresses of something sounding so simple as planning a wedding.

I was smiling from ear to ear during most of the movie, especially when Stanley first sees Kay in her wedding dress. Yes, I had seen the remake years ago, but don't fix anything that ain't broke.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to review this one soon, too!
    I also thought that it's nice to see Taylor in a comedy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.