Saturday, August 28, 2010

Se7en

I have seen several horror movies and numerous Alfred Hitchcock movies, all of which only scared me a little bit. But the one movie that truly scared the hell out of me was Se7en.

Days from his retirement, veteran detective William Somerset (Morgan Freeman) is teamed up with his replacement David Mills (Brad Pitt) to solve a series of murders based on the seven deadly sins. Will they find the killer before his demented plan is complete?

As I was watching this, I felt parts of my back go numb. At first, I thought it was nothing. Then I realized what it was: I was literally paralyzed with fear.

This is definitely not a movie to toy with. The opening credits along prove that. The Howard Shore music just make every scene creepier. The murder scenes are unsettling and the suspense almost puts Hitchcock to shame. Kevin Spacey, in my opinion, was practically primed to play a villian, mainly because his supposedly calming voice is actually really unnerving in this. If you're looking for a movie that's guranteed to scare the fuck out of you, your search is over.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. Great film indeed. One great aspect that gives it a lot more tension than it should is that we never see the murders, just the aftermath. Also John Doe is always in control of the situation from beginning to end which gives the viewer a feeling of powerlessness.

    Fincher manufactured a really oppressive atmosphere and this is one of his masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where as this Fincher film has the power to scare you his just as superb film Zodiac is downright creepy. There's a difference between scary and creepy but he manages to make them both equally as powerful. One (Se7en) is fictional and scary the other (Zodiac) is non-fiction and creepy. They make great companion pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie so much. I could watch it over and over..in fact, your review kind of makes me want to watch it right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.