Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Seventh Seal

I'm trying to expand my movie watching to more than just English language films. Since last year, I've expanded to French (the 400 Blows), Italian (Life is Beautiful, 8 1/2), Swedish (The Seventh Seal) and Japanese (Seven Samurai) language films.

As he is returning home from the Crusade, knight Antonius Block (Max von Sydow) challenges Death (Bengt Ekerot) to a game of chess. As long as he's winning, Antonius can live to see his family.

I can honestly say that The Seventh Seal is a very thought-provoking movie. It makes you think about life and religion when it's over. And it's really dark and bleak. But at the same time it's brilliant.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. To think that most mainstream audiences don't realise the game versus death in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey was based on this film!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.